Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tilman S's Essay

How do the routines and/or manners observed in an ethnic restaurant represent the given culture?
I will observe the employees and diners for routines/ rituals of the culture.

In December the whole junior class of new Hampton school went down to Boston as part of a program its called junior urban adventure, JUA. I was in a group called food, my goal was to visit different restaurants to observe how employees and customers. I wanted to know how these restaurants showed typical cultural rituals of the ethnic restaurant it represented the culture of its food. For example I visited an Irish, Chinese, Mexican and Thai restaurants.
Most of the restaurants were really more American than ethnic except for the Irish pub, which were very Irish there.
At the restaurant Sólás, were we was for lunch, was everything very rustically, Irish music, good Irish food and it looked like that you are really in Ireland. The food was really good for the low price and the service too. It was a really nice restaurant.
Our first breakfast was at a Mexican restaurant Boloco. They made really good wraps, a little bit spicy. The restaurant looks like a little bit that they want to look like a Mexican restaurant, but it wasn’t like that, but they played Mexican music. It looks like a typical fast-food restaurant.
The china restaurant were we eat was not really nice. It was really Chinese, but I really didn’t like that there. I tried some food, but I really don’t like the Chinese food and there was real to much people in the restaurant.
Every restaurant were we was, without Sólás, was pretty cheap and the most didn’t really care about how it looks in the restaurant, clean was it.
I think the reason is why they don’t care how it looks like there was, that the food was pretty cheap but good. I liked that, without the Chinese.
Overall it was a wonderful trip, I learned a lot and I was lucky to have the experience of eating all different types of food in a new city to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tilman this essay really shows the hard work you put in throughout the course of JUA, well done